Skip to content
How Do I...?

Building & Zoning


When planning a project, it is a good idea to contact the Township and inquire as to whether or not you need a permit and how the process works.  Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must first apply to the township for the necessary permits. 

Property parcel depiction can be obtained here.  Zoning Ordinance §27-2203  requires detailed building and site plans according to survey pins.  Not sure of your zoning classification?  Tax Parcel and Zoning map is here

BUILDING PERMITS are required for:

  • New home construction
  • Addition
  • Roofing
  • Deck or Porch
  • Structural alterations interior or exterior to an existing building 
  • Accessory Buildings of 201sf or greater
  • Interior renovations
  • Mechanical Application:  Fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace installations
  • Electric Application:  Generator, electric upgrade, electric work only
  • Plumbing Application:  Sewer, plumbing work only 

BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:

  • Exterior replacement windows, doors and siding which are materials in kind.

ZONING PERMITS are required for:

  • All building permits
  • Demolition of a structure 
  • Signs
  • Paver patios
  • Fences or Walls including replacements 
  • Accessory Buildings including sheds
  • Home Occupations
  • Accessory Family Apartments
  • Change in Use or an added use
  • Change in non-residential tenant or ownership
  • Non-conforming use registrations 

Any construction, cumulative since 2002 of 1,000 square feet or more is subject to stormwater regulations.  Changes to stormwater or grading on a property also require stormwater review. 

It is essential to obtain all required permits. Any work performed without the necessary permits will be subject to double permit fees or a failed re-sale use and occupancy certificate. 

Every permit issued becomes void if work is not in progress within 180 days after issuance or if work is not completed within one year. Permit extensions are available upon written request. 

Zoning and Code Enforcement

The Township’s laws are written and adopted as Ordinances and are codified into the Township Code. Zoning regulations can be found in Chapter 27.  Residents with questions or concerns about a particular activity or wishing to report a possible violation may do so by reporting an informal complaint via e-mail, telephone, or use report a concern. Formal complaints must be in writing and cannot be anonymous. 

Selling or Buying a Home?

Re-sale Use and Occupancy is required. Code violations determined by the township Building Code Official will need to be corrected before East Rockhill Township will issue an approved Use & Occupancy Permit for a new owner.

Building Something Out of the Ordinary?

Lawful, non-conforming uses or structures must be registered by the township. Check the Zoning Map and contact the Building & Zoning Department to determine what permits you will need.

Landlords—Register Your Tenants

Landlords are required to register tenants with the township annually. Tenant Identification Form.

Subdivision and Land Development

Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances regulate growth, building and expansion to protect and provide for the public health, safety and general welfare of East Rockhill Township. All Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances are posted to Chapter 22.  Questions about whether or not a Subdivision or Land Development Application is required can be directed to the Zoning Officer or Township Manager

Subdivision and Land Applications are required for, the improvement of 1 lot, or 2 or more contiguous lots, tracts, or parcels of land for any purpose involving a group of two or more residential or non-residential buildings; or a single non-residential building on a lot.  The division or allocation of land or space including lot line adjustments.

Telephone & Email Directory

Name Title Telephone
Zoning Officer
Dave Perry, BIU
Building Code Official 215-257-9156

East Rockhill Township

Administration & Public Works
1622 N. Ridge Road
Perkasie, PA 18944

Phone: (215) 257-9156 Fax: (215) 257-1299

Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm