Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must first apply to the township for the necessary permits.
Zoning Ordinance §27-2203 requires detailed building and site plans according to survey pins.
BUILDING PERMITS are required for:
- New home construction
- Deck, Porch or Patio with footings
- Structural alterations interior or exterior to an existing building
- Swimming Pools
- Accessory Buildings of 201sf or greater
- Interior renovations
- Mechanical Application: Fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace installations
- Electric Application: Generator, electric upgrade, electric work only
- Plumbing Application: Sewer, plumbing work only
BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:
- Exterior replacement windows, doors and siding which are materials in kind.
ZONING PERMITS are required for:
- All building permits
- Paver patio
- Fence or Wall including replacement
- Home Occupation
- Accessory Family Apartment
- Change in Use or an added use
- Chickens and Livestock
- Change in non-residential tenant or ownership
- Non-conforming use registration
When planning a project and you are unsure if you need a permit, contact the Township.
Any construction, cumulative since 2002 of 1,000 square feet or more is subject to stormwater regulations. Changes to stormwater or grading on a property also require stormwater review.
It is essential to obtain all required permits. Any work performed without the necessary permits will be subject to double permit fees or a failed re-sale use and occupancy certificate.
Every permit issued becomes void if work is not in progress within 180 days after issuance or if work is not completed within one year. Permit extensions are available upon written request.
Zoning and Code Enforcement
The Township’s laws are written and adopted as Ordinances and are codified into the Township Code. Zoning regulations can be found in Chapter 27. Residents with questions or concerns about a particular activity or wishing to report a possible violation may do so by reporting an informal complaint via e-mail, telephone, or use report a concern. Formal complaints must be in writing and cannot be anonymous.
Selling or Buying a Home?
Re-sale Use and Occupancy is required. Code violations determined by the township Building Code Official will need to be corrected before East Rockhill Township will issue an approved Use & Occupancy Permit for a new owner.
Building Something Out of the Ordinary?
Lawful, non-conforming uses or structures must be registered by the township. Check the Zoning Map and contact the Building & Zoning Department to determine what permits you will need.
Landlords—Register Your Tenants
Landlords are required to register tenants with the township annually. Tenant Identification Form.
Subdivision and Land Development
Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances regulate growth, building and expansion to protect and provide for the public health, safety and general welfare of East Rockhill Township. All Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances are posted to Chapter 22. Questions about whether or not a Subdivision or Land Development Application is required can be directed to the Zoning Officer or Township Manager
Subdivision and Land Applications are required for, the improvement of 1 lot, or 2 or more contiguous lots, tracts, or parcels of land for any purpose involving a group of two or more residential or non-residential buildings; or a single non-residential building on a lot. The division or allocation of land or space including lot line adjustments.
Building & Zoning
Telephone & Email Directory
Dave Perry, BIU
|Building Code Official||215-257-9156|
Additional applications are available by contacting East Rockhill Township
- Zoning & Building Permit Application
- Deck or Patio Permit Application
- Demolition Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Non Conforming Use Registration Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Re Sale Use Occupancy Inspection Application
- Roofing Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application
- Stormwater Management Application
- Well Permit Application
- Zoning Determination or Change Request
- Zoning Permit Application
Public Hearing Applications
- Building Permit New Construction Requirements
- Building Permit Plan Requirements
- Accessory Building Zoning Information
- Code Of Ordinance Formal Complaint
- Contract For Professional Services Agreement
- Escrow Request For Return Of Funds
- Fee Schedule May 1 2021
- Impervious Surface Breakdown
- Plumbing License Annual Requirement
- Swimming Pool Guidelines
- Tenant Identification Form
- Zoning & Parcel Map
- Zoning Table Of Use Chart