When planning a project, it is a good idea to contact the Township and inquire as to whether or not you need a permit and how the process works. Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must first apply to the township for the necessary permits. A parcel plan of your property can be obtained here.
BUILDING PERMITS are required for:
- New home construction
- Deck or Porch
- Interior or exterior structural alterations to an existing building
- Accessory Buildings of 201sf or greater
- Interior renovations
- Mechanical: Fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace installations
BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:
- Exterior replacement windows, doors and siding which are materials in kind.
ZONING PERMITS are required for:
- All building permits excluding only mechanical, only electric and only plumbing
- Demolition of a structure
- Paver patios
- Fences or Walls
- Home Occupations
- Accessory Family Apartments
- Change in Use or an added use
- Change in non-residential tenant or ownership
Any construction, cumulative since 2002 of 1,000 square feet or more is subject to stormwater regulations. Changes to stormwater on a property also require stormwater review.
It is essential to obtain all required permits. Any work performed without the necessary permits will be subject to double permit fees or a failed re-sale use and occupancy certificate.
Every permit issued becomes void if work is not in progress within 180 days after issuance or if work is not completed within one year. Permit extensions are available upon written request.
Zoning and Code Enforcement
The Township’s laws are written and adopted as Ordinances and are codified into the Township Code. Residents with questions or concerns about a particular activity or wishing to report a possible violation may do so by reporting an informal complaint via e-mail, telephone, or use report a concern. Formal complaints must be in writing and cannot be anonymous.
Selling or Buying a Home?
Re-sale Use and Occupancy is required. Code violations determined by the township Building Code Official will need to be corrected before East Rockhill Township will issue a Use & Occupancy Permit for a new owner.
Building Something Out of the Ordinary?
Lawful, non-conforming uses or structures must be registered by the township. Check the Zoning Map and contact the Building & Zoning Department to determine what permits you will need.
Landlords—Register Your Tenants
Landlords are required to register tenants with the township annually. Tenant Identification Form.
Subdivision and Land Development
Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances regulate growth, building and expansion to protect and provide for the public health, safety and general welfare of East Rockhill Township. All Subdivision and Land Development Ordinances are posted to Chapter 22. Questions about whether or not a Subdivision or Land Development Application is required can be directed to the Zoning Officer or Township Manager
Subdivision and Land Applications are required for, the improvement of 1 lot, or 2 or more contiguous lots, tracts, or parcels of land for any purpose involving a group of two or more residential or non-residential buildings; or a single non-residential building on a lot. The division or allocation of land or space including lot line adjustments.
Telephone & Email Directory
Dave Perry, BIU
|Building Code Official||215-257-9156|
Additional applications are available by contacting East Rockhill Township
- Zoning & Building Permit Application
- Community Event Application
- Deck or Patio Permit Application
- Demolition Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
- Forestry Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Non Conforming Registration Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Pool or Hot Tub Permit Application
- Re Sale Use Occupancy Inspection Application
- Roofing Permit Application
- Shed Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application
- Stormwater Management Application
- Well Permit Application
- Zoning Determination or Change Request
- Zoning Permit Application
Public Hearing Applications
- Building Permit New Construction Requirements
- Building Permit Plan Requirements
- Code Of Ordinance Formal Complaint
- Contract For Professional Services Agreement
- Escrow Request For Return Of Funds
- Fee Schedule January 1 2020
- Impervious Surface Breakdown
- Plumbing License Annual Requirement
- Swimming Pool Guidelines
- Tenant Identification Form
- Zoning & Parcel Map
- Zoning Table Of Use Chart