How do I...?
Chickens on my property
Homestead Chickens (I11 Use) are permitted with guidelines as an accessory residential use.
- A permit is required.
- Must have a minimum of 1 acre to have five chickens with a maximum of 10 allowed on 2 or more acres. Chickens are not permitted in the R-1 and S zoning districts.
- No roosters over the age of six months are permitted.
- Chickens are prohibited to run at large.
- Chicken enclosure must comply with size regulations and be located a minimum of 15 feet from side or rear lot line and 25 feet from any residential structure and are not permitted in the front yard.
- An unoccupied chicken enclosure for more than two years must be removed.
- All chicken waste shall be stored and disposed of in a manner consistent with Chapter 91 of the Pennsylvania Code.