How Do I...?

Building & Zoning

When planning a project, it is a good idea to contact the Township and inquire as to whether or not you need a permit and how the process works.  Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must first apply to the township for the necessary permits.

BUILDING PERMITS are required for:

  • New home construction
  • Roofing
  • Deck or Porch
  • Interior or exterior structural alterations to an existing building 
  • Accessory Buildings of 201sf or greater
  • Interior renovations 
  • Mechanical:  Fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace installations
  • Electric 
  • Plumbing

BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:

  • Exterior replacement windows, doors and siding which are materials in kind.

ZONING PERMITS are required for:

  • All building permits excluding only mechanical, only electric and only plumbing
  • Demolition of a structure 
  • Signs
  • Paver patios
  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Home Occupations
  • Accessory Family Apartments
  • Change in Use or an added use

Any construction, cumulative since 2002 of 1,000 square feet or more is subject to stormwater regulations.  Changes to Stormwater on a property also require stormwater review. 

All Zoning applications must be accompanied by a site layout plan drawn to scale showing location of all existing buildings, sidewalks, driveways in addition to the proposed construction with setback measurements.  Engineered plans may be required. 

All Building applications must be accompanied by plans showing work being done and including specified materials.  Sealed plans may be required.  After zoning approval, your building plans are reviewed by a certified building inspector knowledgeable in required codes. When your permit is issued, you will be provided with a checklist of all required inspections, which may be scheduled by calling the Township office.

It is essential to obtain all required permits. Any work performed without the necessary permits will be subject to double permit fees or a failed re-sale use and occupancy certificate. 

Every permit issued becomes void if work is not in progress within 180 days after issuance or if work is not completed within one year. Permit extensions are available upon written request. 

Contact Information

Building & Zoning

1622 N. Ridge Road
Perkasie, PA 18944

Phone: (215) 257-9156

Telephone & Email Directory

Name Title Telephone
Zoning Officer
Dave Perry, BIU
Building Code Official 215-257-9156

Selling or Buying a Home?

Re-sale Use and Occupancy Permits are required. Code violations determined by the township Building Code Official will need to be corrected before East Rockhill Township will issue a Use & Occupancy Permit for a new owner.

Building Something Out of the Ordinary?

Lawful, non-conforming uses or structures must be registered by the township. Check the Zoning Map and contact the Building & Zoning Department to determine what permits you will need.

Landlords—Register Your Tenants

Landlords are required to register tenants with the township annually. Tenant Identification Form.